Saturday, February 14, 2015

Reclaimed Barn Wood Projects

Not much life left in this thing, right?  Au contraire, I'd guess that just about every bit of the
materials in yonder barn could be given a new home.  I know I'd  happily pitch in and help
tear it down in exchange for some of that lumber.  And the rusty tin looks sweet, too.
News flash: barn wood is a hot trend these days.  Ok, I bet you already know that. The question is: where can you get the stuff? Sometimes a random somebody-who-knows-somebody connection pops up, or watching the classifieds pays off, but its also nice to have a reliable source that offers a consistent inventory.  That way you can get what you need any old time. I'm pleased as punch to mention here that Salt Lake City has a great new supplier that meets this need quite nicely.



Most woodworkers in our area are familiar with MacBeath Hardwoods, as they're a premier supplier to both the trade and the general public. Their wide selection and fine service are no secret, but what's new is the fact that they're now carrying reclaimed barn wood.  I was actually there this morning picking out a bunch of boards for a credenza that I'm building.  Its really nice stuff, and believe me, I've used a lot of it in psat projects so I'm happy to give it a thumbs up. And this isn't just a local-interest kind of announcement; MacBeath also operates stores in Berkeley, San Francisco, San Jose, and Edinbugh, Indiana.  So if you happen to live near one of those spots, you're in luck.  And, lest this sound like some sort of commercial, it isn't:  I just like to shine a light on some good folks doing something good when I get the chance.  Here's the details:

MacBeath Hardwoods
1576 S. 300 W.
Salt Lake City, UT 84115

(801) 484-7616

Hours: 
    Monday- Friday: 8am-5pm
    Saturday: 9am-3pm

The rest of this post will showcase a collection of designs that I happen to love- none of them are my own, but I think they show off what barn wood 2.0 can do. Click on the image to see the gallery.

Follow Chris Gleason's board recycled/reclaimed design on Pinterest.











No comments:

Post a Comment